Saturday, November 10, 2007

Top 5 for my bear buddies...

Someone sent a really funny comic about the "new gay stereotype" and it got me thinking. I personally thought “bears” were the new gay stereotype, so “bear” with me a moment while I ramble…

First, there’s the new “bear lifestyle” magazine called “A Bears Life”. It's actually pretty popular and is getting quite a bit of notoriety. Even Kevin Smith, the director of Clerks, is involved with it now.Secondly, maybe it’s probably just me, but I think its extra funny because “A Bears Life” is like an updated version of everything from my childhood. Lots of camping, spending the summer with beefy guys (who were scout masters back then), and I used to get “A Boys Life” magazine. Which makes me think, Awwe, that’s so cute; but also kind of disturbing.

Third, I had a Smokey the Bear doll until I was 13 or so; which is well, sooooo GAY! I think I actually went through three of them during my childhood and I remember being devastated once when we came home from shopping and found that one of our dogs chewed up my teddy bear. It still pulls at my heart strings just looking at a picture of cuddly little guy even today…

Fourth, I guess this falls into the category of visual reinforcement; but take a look at all these Smokey the Bear comic covers and see if you can see something twisted within each one (Tip: if you can’t find anything wrong in the 3rd image, just look at the general shape of the broken sign post).

Finally, in addition to the incredible growth of bear events, bear language, and other bearish things, feel free to draw your own conclusions from the following pictures…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That bear pageant picture cracked me up. I think they are all about one inch away from being furries, or perhaps plushies considering all of the stuffed animals!